Tuesday, January 22, 2008

JFJ is Toast!

I was away for the weekend - in balmy St. Catharines, Ontario - without access to internet or television, so I barely caught any of the Leafs 4-2 win over Buffalo on Saturday, or their 3-2 loss to New Jersey on Sunday. I could try to give you a rundown of the games from boxscores, but that's not really fair to you, or the Leafs.

The real reason for this post is the news that JFJ is no longer the GM of the Leafs. All of The Hockey News (where I saw the story first), TSN, Sportsnet, and the homeless natives at the corner of Bloor and Spadina are reporting the story. I can't imagine the story isn't true with so many sports news sources giving it top billing. It's not like Eklund is the only one reporting it. Moreover, the fact that this story broke about the same time that Cliff Fletcher returns from vacation likely means he is the new (if interim) GM of the Leafs.

"No, Mr. Lowe, I won't give up Alex Steen to land Chris Pronger; I just won't. My team has a great young core of third line talent and I don't want to break it up. Later, doctors will tell me I have an IQ of 48 and I'm what some people call 'mentally retarded'"

While I am thrilled that the trading deadline apparently won't be handled by Ferguson, I'm not convinced that Fletcher is the deity he's being made out to be. The Leafs have already fired Fletcher as their GM once, after all. He has a history of trading draft picks for veterans, and that's pretty much the opposite of what the Leafs need this year.

More to come...


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: