Sunday, December 23, 2007

Merry Fucking Christmas

I apologize for the late post.

This time of year is always hectic with family obligations that invariably depress me, and crazy schedules that stress me out on top of that. I've never been one to abuse heavy drugs, but during the holidays I fully understand where users are coming from. 'Tis the season for understanding, no?

Almost lost in my grinching was the Leafs' 2-1 overtime win against the Florida Panthers last night. The Leafs broke a three-game losing streak thanks to a Pavel Kubina powerplay goal.


Even before his game-winning goal, Kubina was having a strong game. He led the team in icetime (again), and continued building his two-way game with several solid bodychecks to go along with his top-pairing offensive contributions.

I've heard feedback from some readers about being too 'pro-Kubina'. In other words, I give him too much credit. And I can't say I disagree with that statement. I believe that the shitting on that Kubina gets almost constantly is unwarranted. He is the new Antropov in Toronto. Now that neanderthal Leafs fans can no longer single out Antropov as everything wrong with the team, Kubina bears much of the brunt.

I really think the reason is that Leafs fans are mostly incapable of looking past an ugly skating style and seeing positives. It took Antropov damn near 8 seasons to get any respect - so I don't know why I am surprised.

Sure, Kubina doesn't earn his contract on some nights, but I can't say that's terribly uncommon among $5 million players.

I've also noticed a huge improvement in Tomas Kaberle's game since being paired with Kubina (when McCabe was injured). He has been much more confident with the puck, has made a few highlight reel defensive plays, and has been joining the rush and pinching like it's his job...which it kind of is, I suppose. I refuse to believe that being paired with Kubina hasn't been the single most important factor in Kaberle's recent surge.

Anyway, the rest of the game was fairly average. Vesa Toskala dominated the Panthers, stopping 29 of 30 shots. 'Twas his 12th consecutive start - the longest streak of his career - and he seems to only be getting stronger. It's funny, but I no longer hear anyone in the media questioning his ability to lead a hockey team. You may remember that I never once questioned his abilities. Someone should be paying me for this, at the expense of one of the vacuous toads currently doing the job. Dreger and Millard, I'm gunnin' for ya.

Fittingly, the lone goal that Toskala allowed came as the direct result of a bad Leafs giveaway. Matt Stajan tried to clear the puck along the boards - and I commend him for at least attempting the correct play - but his clearing attempt was about as strong as American beer. Olli Jokinen intercepted and blew the shot past a screened Toskala. Pin the goal on Matt "I can dead lift a ton, but play a weak, vegetarian game" Stajan. Good nickname, huh? I like how well it flows.

Random Game Notes:
- Jiri Tlusty found his way back into the lineup, at Wade Belak's expense. He played just over 10 minutes on a line with Kyle Wellwood and Jason Blake, and even saw a shift on the powerplay. Darcy Tucker, the usual winger on that line, shifted to the 4th line with Chad Kilger and Mark Bell. I don't imagine there is a better 4th line in hockey.

- The Leafs were dominated in faceoffs last night, winning only 41% as a team. The main culprits? Mark Bell (1 of 11, 9%) and Mats Sundin (8 of 22, 36%). Both men are usually far better than that.

- Fair is fair: I have shit on Ian White for subpar play of late, but his play in the last couple of games - and last night in particular - has been top-four defenseman quality. His offensive side is beginning to show again, and that can only be good news for the team.

- It seems I was right about Harry Neale's downward spiral. He has been taken off the national (i.e. Leafs) game on Hockey Night In Canada for most of the season, and sounds like shit during the games he does cover. Last night, he worked the Ottawa game, and sounded as enthused as a Walmart cashier during the holiday rush. So long Harry, it was nice knowin' ya. I'll see you during the Quebec peewee tournament.

2 comments:

Danno said...

Long comment, didn't want to post it because it's not that important.

Buddy, you forgot to add the fact that Toskala's amazing save was the highlight of the night..... in the league.

In my whole lifetime I have not experienced a Leaf goalie that can go out every game and constantly amaze everyone I watch the game with, including myself. On Saturday, the save he made was absolutely incredible, something you rarely see, especially from the Leafs goaltending.

He has played 12 games in a row because for these 12 games he has stood on his head, and yes, you have mentioned it. He has earned these 12 games because he has earned it, and has proved that he can go out and play every night, unlike the incompotent dull Razor that seems to be sitting on the bench a lot lately.

You seem to be trying to take all the credit now that Toskala is doing good, just because you didn't rip on him for his losses early in the season, while the average Leaf fan did, as well as Damien Cox, so it made front page news. But me, you, and the sports casters are smart enough to know that Toskala is a very good goalie, and just wasn't adjusted to the Leafs play yet. So please, Mr.Bone, stop.
But congratulations to Kubina, Kaberle, Toskala, and the whole teams play against the Panthers.
Other than that, it was a good, funny post.

PS. I like the new lines, with Tlusty playing with Blake and Welly, and the gritty new 4th line.

Anonymous said...

"In my whole lifetime I have not experienced a Leaf goalie that can go out every game and constantly amaze everyone I watch the game with, including myself."

Guess you're too young to remember Cujo at his best, and even Eddie the Eagle, before he started shitting the bed. You couldn't come up with enough adjectives to describe the great nights they had and the number of games they stole for the Leafs. Seems Toskala is fitting right into that mold.

And in my defence, i never gave up on VeTo (nice nickname, Danno). altho this cant be proven, but i noted to a friend that i did feel his slump was leafs-defence and a LOT of goals that weren't his fault. i like VeTo; so much so i texted Mr Bone as soon as the leafs acquired him. Mr Bone was caught offside and knew nothing about it...something about being at the pride parade....