Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Criticism!

Fucking finally!

Yesterday, there was an anonymous comment left in response to my A Good, Old-Fashioned Shit Kicking article. I've linked to it, but it's the article directly below this one so it isn't hard to find. To view the comment, click where it says 1 comments.

Side note: The reason I have allowed anyone to leave comments, and for those comments to be fully visible by anyone that visits the site, is that I look forward to this type of criticism, and hope it sparks a debate. It lets me know what people like, or - much more likely - dislike about the site. So, to Anonymous: thanks!

Anyway, Mr. (or Mrs.) Anonymous really ripped into me. Almost as bad as the way visible minorities are ripped into in small town Ontario.

Anonymous had a few issues, and I'm going to go over them here.

"people dont come to this site to see totally irrelevant pictures of retards hitting on 70 year old ladies and its not related to anything."
I disagree. I think people come to this site to get a mix of [1] Leafs news [2] Leafs opinion [3] Wit, however little. Anonymous suggested that I place a photo directly related to the game instead of the one I posted. Fair enough. But to me, it gets a little tired seeing the same photo with every post. It's either the Leafs winning, or the Leafs losing. There are only a certain amount of pictures taken for each game, and even fewer of those are available to use (i.e. not copyrighted). Fuck, I've already had to resort to pirating; fully half of the images I use are pirated. So, if I want a little break in the monotony - in this case to see a puddinhead thug - I'ma post it. See, it's the look on the young man's face that does it for me. You may see typical Down's Syndrome facial expressions, but I saw typical thug ridiculousness. I really don't think that a picture has to be relevant to have merit. Case in point:


"i havent heard of this antropov power outage from the media, stop making shit up mr. bone"
I really don't know what to say about this one, except that I have heard of it. On several occasions. I've said it before, but I make an effort to read or watch everything Leafs on a daily basis. Many writers mentioned Antropov's lack of production, including big names Damien Cox and, if I remember correctly, Howard Berger. I'd check, but I'm not ambitious enough - ever look through newspaper or website archives? Fuck that! In any event, The term power outage came from Joe Bowen / Greg Millen on Leafs regional broadcasts, and I ran with it.

"thats two posts know that you have come up with nothing to write about so you just starting writing what you are doing"
You're probably right. I find that I lose readers when I get technical. So, I try to spread those comments out. And as a result, posts can be as thin as an Asian dink. If you have suggestions as to what you'd like to see (anyone, not just Anonymous) I'm all ears.

"HOW DO YOU MISS HAL GILL'S MONSTEROUS GAME? HE SHUT DOWN LECAVALIER AND ST.LOUIS THE WHOLE GAME!!"
Wow. Anonymous was pretty steamed about this one. All caps? That's a bold statement. Monstrous game? Is that you, Pierre McGuire? Are you Mr. Anonymous? Gill's play over the last several games has been really fucking fantastic. Like, Bruce Lee fighting Chuck Norris in Way Of The Dragon fantastic. I probably should have mentioned his play in my post. I don't however, think he single-handedly shut down Lecavalier and St. Louis like he did Jaromir Jagr a few games ago. Against Tampa Bay, the forwards on the ice against the #1 line were given shadow roles to play. This was especially evident when the 3rd (Stajan) and 4th (Bell) lines were on the ice. When the top two Leafs lines were out, they were mostly in the Tampa Bay zone, neutralizing the Tampa offense through their own. So, maybe Gill deserved a mention, but I think Anonymous took it a little far.

"You must have missed the game and only watched the highlights."
I did see the game, although I admit to tuning it out a bit in the third when the game was mostly out of reach. When I don't watch the games, you'll see Danno posting instead of me. I'd never post about a game I didn't watch. I'd speak to that ruining the integrity of the site, but I don't believe the site has any. So, I'll just say that it'd be a really shitty thing to do. I've recruited Danno for exactly that reason.

So, Mr. (or Mrs.) Anonymous, I hope this satisfies you. I look forward to more of your comments, and maybe next time you'll sign your own name.

No comments: